John M. Erickson, M.D. is a native of El Paso, TX and graduated summa cum laude from Baylor University. He received his Doctorate in Medicine at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical School at Dallas in 2004 with honors. He completed training in orthopedic surgery at the University of Michigan Hospitals in Ann Arbor. In 2010, Dr. Erickson completed a fellowship in hand and upper extremity surgery at Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville, TN.
Dr. Erickson is board-certified by the American Board of Orthopedic Surgery (ABOS) in both orthopedics and hand surgery, and he is an active member of the American Society for Surgery of the Hand (ASSH). Dr. Erickson received the Sub-specialty Certificate in Surgery of the Hand in 2014. He is the president of the North Carolina Society for Surgery of the Hand (NCSSH) and a member of the Robert E. Carroll Hand Club. He participates in weekly hand conference at WakeMed Hospital in Raleigh and writes articles for online patient education, including HandCare, the ASSH website. He joined Raleigh Hand Center in 2010. He was named a Top Doctor in 2020 by Castle Connolly.
Dr. John Erickson is married to Dr. Kimberly Erickson, a pediatric surgeon at WakeMed hospital, and they have one daughter. The Ericksons are active members of Christ Church of Raleigh. He has participated in medical mission trips while in medical school and in private practice.
Dr. Erickson enjoys hiking, biking, painting, photography, and spending time outdoors in the mountains, lakes, and coastal waters of North Carolina. He also enjoys watching Michigan Wolverine and Baylor University athletics.
Honors and Awards
- President, North Carolina Society for Surgery of the Hand, 2020-21
- Top Doctor, Castle Connolly, 2020.
- Treasurer, North Carolina Society for Surgery of the Hand, 2019-20
- American Society for Surgery of the Hand, active member since 2015
- Subspecialty Certificate in Surgery of the Hand, 2014
- Patients’ Choice Award, 2013
- American Board of Orthopedic Surgery, Diplomate, 2013
- Alpha Omega Alpha, Medical Honor Society, UT Southwestern Medical School, 2004
- Summa Cum Laude, Baylor University, 2000
- Phi Beta Kappa, Academic Honor Society, Baylor University, 2000
- Baylor University Achievement Scholarship, 1996
- Eagle Scout, Boy Scouts of America, 1993